This initiative was created as it was noted that strong and confident swimmers make strong and confident Nippers and Patrolling Members.
To be used as a motivational program in order to improve strength and skills of Nippers and Patrolling Members over the winter period, especially those Nippers moving onto different craft or into water events for the first time and those new Bronzies who want to ensure they are ready and fit for the next patrolling season.
Even if you don’t complete the total 100K in the period the program will be a worthwhile experience to improve your confidence and skills. The reward for doing the 100K Winter is the proven improvement in skill and strength by training over the off season.
Members will attempt to fill in the 100K Winter 2019 Log Book with 100Km of total training in the nipper/patrolling off season. Members will register their interest via Team App and can download a log book.
Log Book can also be downloaded by clicking the following link: Dee Why 100K Winter Log Book
From the start of Day Light Savings (7th April) we will attempt to run every week the following sessions: (first session Tues 9th April)
- Tuesday Morning 6am – 7am, Board paddle at Dee Why Beach
- Thursday Morning 6am – 7am, Board paddle at Dee Why Beach
- Sunday Morning 10am – 11am, Ocean Swim / Board paddle at Dee Why Beach
Members will be notified via Team App of all Group sessions done at Dee Why beach. Pool swimming sessions are the responsibility of the Member.
Please ensure that you have appropriate attire for the sessions, it is winter and will be cold, for the 6am sessions a steamer or spring suit is highly recommended.
Due to the nature of winter training sessions may be cancelled with 1 day or less notice.
As we will attempt to run a session if possible we may modify sessions due to weather and conditions so please come prepared to swim, paddle or even possibly run.
As a last resort we may cancel a session on the day.
If you require further information regarding TeamApp, refer to the following document: How to join TeamApp
The 100km training must be done as follows
- Pool swimming (maximum of 95km towards total)
- Board Paddling (maximum 50km towards total
- Ocean Swimming (minimum 5km towards total)
For the nippers the training must be signed off by an accredited person, ie swim or board coach or parent present for the training, for the adults you are on the honour system to fill out honestly.
For nippers their book must be handed in on the first day of nippers, for the patrolling members it must be handed in on the first weekend of patrols to the admin office
To register your interest please email: email@example.com
!!! You will need to download the team app application and request to join the 100k Winter 2019
* Standard distances for the patrolling members if they wish to do sessions outside the program.
- From in front of the life guard tower at Dee Why, out in line with the pool to the Lifeguard tower at Long Reef and back to shore is a 2.5km paddle
- From in front of the club, out in line with the pool to the pole and back to shore is a 1.5km paddle
- From the in front of the lifeguard tower out to in line with the edge of the swim club building and back is 200m.
Matt Molinia (Dee Why SLSC – Club Patrol Captain)